Flavoring Syrup Frequently Asked Questions
What brands of flavoring syrup do you carry?
We currently offer three different flavoring syrup brands: DaVinci, Monin, and Routin 1883.
What are the primary differences between all 3 brands?
Although all three brands are gourmet flavoring syrups, there are primary differences, based on personal preferences. The differences are as follows:
- DaVinci has the widest flavor selection in both regular and sugar free syrups, with almost 100 to choose from. This is great when you're looking for a unique flavor, DaVinci probably has it. The wide selection gives you all of the flavors you'll need for specialty coffee beverages and just about any other application you can think of. Additionally, DaVinci has great Point-of-Sale material available for marketing within your coffee shop, cafe or restaurant. Many customers describe the flavor of DaVinci as "sweet," which is very popular in many recipes. However, the sweeter flavor profile can sometimes cover up the espresso flavor in specialty coffee beverages.
- Monin is often described as having a more "pure" flavor, excellently complementing the espresso flavor in drinks. When we say "pure" flavor, it can be compared to more of a vanilla bean flavor rather than a sugary sweet vanilla from DaVinci. Monin flavoring syrup is more concentrated than DaVinci, requiring less product per serving. Like DaVinci, Monin has good Point-of-Sale marketing, particularly with seasonal products and recipes. In addition to the nearly 90 Monin flavors, we also carry a line of Organic Monin Flavoring Syrups.
- Routin 1883 is a syrup line imported from France, available in 1L PET bottles. Although at first glance the price point seems to be more expensive, in reality, Routin 1883 is our most economical syrup. It's more concentrated than both Monin and DaVinci, reducing the cost per serving. In terms of flavor, it also possesses a more "pure" flavor, again complimenting espresso when making specialty coffee beverages.
How much flavoring syrup should I use in a drink?
The amount of flavoring syrup to use in a drink depends on your desired outcome and the recipe you are trying to create. For consistency and cost control, we definitely recommend using pumps with syrups. For specialty coffee drinks, our recommended usage for optimal flavor in 16-ounce servings are as follows:
- DaVinci 1.25 oz. of syrup (5 pumps)
- Monin 3/4 oz. of syrup (3 pumps)
- Routin 3/4 oz. of syrup (3 pumps)
Besides coffee, what other uses are there for flavoring syrups?
Not only are flavoring syrups popular in coffee drinks, but they are also used in making Italian and French soda, steamers, and flavoring iced tea.
What are the most popular flavors?
For specialty coffee beverages, the most popular flavors are Vanilla, Caramel, Hazelnut, Raspberry and Sugar Free Vanilla. For bars and restaurants making soda flavors, cocktails and iced tea, the most popular flavors include Raspberry, Blackberry, Mango, Passion Fruit and Pomegranate.
How long is the shelf life of flavoring syrup?
Once opened, the shelf life is 2 years for DaVinci syrups, 12 months for Monin syrups and 6 months for Routin 1883 syrups.